Changing the name of your business can be a daunting task, but here are some helpful steps you can follow:
- Notify the IRS: If the name change occurs AFTER you have already received your EIN, you will need to send a letter to the IRS stating the name change, your EIN, old business name, new business name, and the reason for the name change to the address where you file your tax return. Alternatively, you can change your busniness name by filing Form SS-4 https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-ss-4# .
- Update your business name: You will need to update your business name with the appropriate state agency. This may be the Secretary of State’s office or another state agency that handles business registrations. You will likely need to file a form or pay a fee to update your business name.
- Update your business documents: You will need to update all of your business documents, including your business license, permits, contracts, and any other legal documents that include your business name.
- Update your bank accounts: You will need to update your business name with your bank and any financial institutions that you work with. This includes updating your business checks, credit cards, and other financial accounts.
- Update your website and marketing materials: Finally, you will need to update your website, social media accounts, and any marketing materials with your new business name.
By following these steps, you can successfully change the name of your business in all the necessary places.